Do current air coolers support AMD AM4?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Kovarik, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Kovarik

Kovarik New Member

Hi,

I will upgrade my pc soon and will need an air cooler which is compatible with AM4. After looking at some online stores for older coolers like Noctua NH-D15 or Be Quiet Dark Rock pro 3 it doesn't say that they work with AM4...

so the question is, do you have to buy the cooler and then contact the cooler manufacturer directly for an AM4 install kit?

2. Michael Pabia

Michael Pabia Member Staff Member

3. I3R0K3N7FEET

I3R0K3N7FEET New Member Staff Member

From testing, the bracket is wider, but the mounting position is the same. This means, any older cooler that uses the default cooler mounting WILL be compatible*

*Depending on a few things.

1. That the cooler has the right clearance for SMDs for the new spec. (this will literally be trial and error as most older coolers designed to older spec will be compatible, but some will not.
    2, that it doesn't have any type of strange mounting clamps.

The primary difference for the AM4 mounting is the screwhole position (its a little wider). So any cooler that uses any custom mounting based on the previous backplate design will not be compatible with AM4.

There are some exceptions such as the ASUS CROSSHAIR VI has AM3 and AM4 mounting holes.